Friday, August 3, 2007

CHOW CHOW

I found one of my old cookbooks that I had collected from August 5, 1992. That's when I got the book. It was made in 1976. It is called Recipes of Days Gone by, by The Home Demonstration Clubs of Tom Green County. The recipe is below, and called 'Chow Chow'. Tom Green County is in Texas. The little book is made of construction paper, I think it may be pink, but it is faded from the years. I will put the chow chow recipe here for you.

CHOW CHOW submitted to the Home Demonstration Club cook book by Mrs. L. I. Brooks then below that it has Sykes H.D. Club. Her comment is " This was given to my mother, Mrs. O. T. Burton, by my daddy's aunt when my parents were married, well over 50 years ago".

1 gallon green tomatoes
2 pounds cabbage
6 green peppers
6 medium onions
1/2 cup salt
1 pint to 1 quart vinegar (to taste)
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Grind all vegetables through food chopper, using coarse blade. Sprinkle then with salt. Mix well and let stand at least an hour, then put in sock and let drip overnight. Put in pan to cook, using vinegar, sugar, pepper and spices. Cook until done, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Will loose its green color and look light. Seal while hot. In cooking , keep liquid enough so as not to be dry, if necessary add water. Have it sour enough not to mold, not sweet, but sharp.

No comments: