Tuesday, June 19, 2007

SAUCE - SALSA (HOT SAUCE) & BEAN AND CHEESE DIP

Good morning. Today I have 3 different recipes, all from the same postcard mailing cook book, Mexican Cookin'. The first one is simply called 'Sauce', then there is 'Salsa (Hot Sauce)' and the last one is 'Bean and Cheese Dip'. The Mexican Cookin' postcard cookbook that I have was illustrated by Pat McCarthy with special consultant Angelita Guerrero. It was printed in the U.S.A. Copyrighted in 1972 in Amarillo, Texas . NO, not going to sell it. I do how ever know that when I die, my daughter says she may pick out about 5 of my favorite recipe books to keep & she says she is not sure where the rest will go. I have some news. I will be giving them away myself, or selling them or something. We will see... :) They won't go in the garbage. I am far from dying right now anyway. I STILL collect recipes and cookbooks. - If you have some YOU don't want, send them to me, I love em all. Just send them to 7961 E. St. Hwy. 97 Waelder, Texas 78959

SAUCE

1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup chili powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup tomato puree
1 cup water

Cook onion & garlic until tender. Add flour; blend. Add rest of ingredients. Simmer 10 minutes. 6-8 servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SALSA (HOT SAUCE)

2 peeled tomatoes
1 onion
1 jalapeno pepper
2 tablespoons salad oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
Pinch of oregano, crushed

Chop tomatoes, onion and pepper. Mix with salad oil, lemon juice and seasonings. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BEAN AND CHEESE DIP

1 lb. pinto beans, cooked
4 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
Jalapenos

While beans are still hot, pour off liquid, reserving some in the event the dip needs moistening. Mash beans well with potato masher. Set aside.

In large frying pan, saute onion and garlic in about four tablespoons bacon drippings until onion is clear. Add mashed beans and mix well. Cook over low fire for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is hot. Add grated cheese and some chopped jalapenos, making it as hot as you like it. Serve in chafing dish and have bowl of crips tortilla triangles nearby to dip into the bean dip.

No comments: