Saturday, July 21, 2007

DUTCH BABY


For my birthday, (which is in Feb. by the way) my daughter bought me a new cast iron skillet. For Mother's Day, she bought me 'The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook - Recipes for the Best Pan In Your Kitchen by Sharon Kramis & Julie Kramis Hearne'. I always love cooking in my cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. It gives me the feeling of tradition and days gone by. I don't use Teflon pots and pans, because over time, they start to flake off and it worries me that some of that Teflon will end up in the food I am cooking and possibly be harmful to my family. So, Teflon is a no-no in my house. I stick with traditional old time cookware. Although I am not selling my own cookbook that my daughter got me, you can purchase one here if you like... They start from $11.53 and can go as high as $16.95 depending on who you buy it from... http://www.discountbeautyproductgiftwagon.com/shop/amazon_products_feed.cgi?Operation=ItemLookup&ItemId=1570614253 and now, on to the recipe.


This is a recipe meant for the cast iron skillet. Just a few ingredients produce an amazing puffed pancake that looks as though it might rise right out of the pan. We like to serve this puffed pancake on lazy Saturday mornings and, even more, we love getting it served to us on Mother's Day.


MAKES 2 SERVINGS


2 tbs butter

4 extra-large eggs

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup milk


TOPPING

3 tbs butter

Juice of 1 lemon

1/2 cup powdered sugar


Preheat the oven to 425. To make the Dutch baby, melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over low heat. Mix the eggs, flour, and milk in a blender on medium speed until just blended, 5 to 10 seconds. Pour the batter into the skillet with the melted butter.


Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the top puffs up and is lightly golden, about 25 minutes.


To clarify the butter for the topping, melt it over low heat in a small saucepan. Skim off and discard the foam. Remove from the heat and let stand until the solids settle, about 5 minutes. Pour through a strainer into a glass measuring cup.


When the Dutch baby is done, drizzle the clarified butter over the top, then sprinkle with the lemon juice and dust with the powdered sugar. Cut into six wedges and serve immediately.

No comments: